Blackberry tips & tricks 66 : Wipe the BlackBerry using JL Cmder
Posted by freeappsblackberry on February 8, 2010
In the previous post, we described how to wipe all data off your BlackBerry through the OS. The problem a few people ran into is that sometimes this is not exactly possible. For example, you ran into a situation where you wanted to wipe your BlackBerry but the keyboard was broken.
The simple solution to this problem is to use Javaloader or JL_Cmder to wipe your BlackBerry through your computer. We’ll let you know how to do it:
- You just need to plug in your BlackBerry and install the JL_Cmder.
- Make sure ALL your data (i.e. contacts, appointments, memos and etc) are backed up before proceeding! This will wipe everything off of the device.
- Make sure you have the latest version of both Desktop Manager and the Handheld OS installed on your PC.
- From the PC navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file vendor.xml (If you have never installed the Handheld OS before then the vendor.xml file will not be on the PC and you can skip this step)
- Plug the device into the PC using the USB cord and make sure Desktop Manager is closed.
- Remove the battery from the device.
Wipe The Device
- Wipe the device using Jl_Cmder (This may take several attempts to connect to the device, so keep trying until it connects and wipes)
Install OS and Restore
1. Open Desktop Manager and select Application Loader
2. Install the OS by following the prompts and selections
3. The device will reboot. It can take up to 15 minutes for the 1st boot.
4. Restore the previously made backup or re-sync
5. Install the battery back into the device and unplug from the PC